Our Commitment to Transparency
A guide to accessing public records at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
As a public institution in North Carolina, the University is subject to the laws and policies of the federal government, the State of North Carolina, and the University of North Carolina system.
We respond as promptly as possible to public records requests while protecting the privacy rights of our students and employees, as well as other information that is confidential under federal and state laws.
We created this website to make it easy to request public records and to see how the University’s Public Records Office responds.
Here is what you will find:
- Our Public Records Policy
- A new webpage, showing when a public records request was received, the name of the individual who made the request (and the name of the organization if applicable), a description of the request and details about the processing of the request.
- How to submit a request to the Public Records Office staff, as well as other University offices that can provide public records or public information about students, employees, crime reports, among other topics.
- Applicable federal and North Carolina laws.
- Frequently Asked Questions.
Through this site, we will provide weekly updates on the webpage tracking the status of public records request responses. As other new information about public records and the University’s efforts to fulfill those requests becomes available, we will post it.